Description of the Listing
Our condo, 201 Kanai a Nalu, is a fantastic choice for those whose priority is to stay in lovely, air conditioned accommodations, as close as possible to the ocean and beach-- with spectacular vistas from throughout the condo. You'll be able to watch both sunrise over Haleakala and the ocean, and sunset over the west Maui coastline from our lanai . Our condo is a premium, direct ocean beachfront, end unit located at the "quiet end" (next door to 2 acres of private property with only one house on it)of a very lovely complex called "Kanai a Nalu" (which translates to "gentle surf"), the most sought-after vacation rental property in our little seaside village of Maalaea-- often called "Maui's best kept secret". It is situated at the northernmost end of Sugar Beach/ Maalaea Beach, Maui's longest sandy beach, which stretches southward from Kanai a Nalu for several miles through an undeveloped nature preserve all the way down to North Kihei-- so it is quite spectacular. Yet our condo is only about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport and the "real" shopping available in Kahului, and is a great, centrally located, "home base" from which to explore the island. Our area is the driest, sunniest part of Maui, with the wonderful trade wind breezes providing a welcome cooling effect for outdoor activities in the warm afternoons.
HomeyHawaii, like some guidebooks, classifies Maalaea as a part of "West Maui", probably because much of the Maalaea region beyond the village stretches along the drive from Maalaea village northward towards Lahaina. But Maalaea village, where our condo is located, actually constitutes the northernmost tip of "South Maui", with which it shares a sunny, dry, climate and a beautiful coastline that stretches around Maalaea Bay, a major winter playground of the humpback whales, and includes "Sugar beach". Unlike the rainier climate of some other parts of West Maui, Maalaea is actually desert, and you will see cacti growing by the mauka roadside as you drive through it! We stayed all over Maui before we decided that Maalaea was the best place for a family vacation home and bought our place here.
While the condo is located in a very quiet and unspoiled location, we are within walking distance of the Maui Ocean Center-- a phenomenal, world class aquarium and ocean learning center that delights children of all ages; the Maalaea Bay Marina--- from which you can take boat tours out for whale or dolphin-watching (depending upon season), sightseeing or snorkeling, etc., and their associated shops and restaurants, a five star seafood restaurant, and a miniature golf/ family fun center. A number of nice "real" golf courses can also be found within a very short drive.
Our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo can sleep up to six people, depending upon the sleeping arrangements required. It works very well for a couple or two, and for families. Our master bedroom has a king-sized bed; the guest bedroom has twins (which can also be made up as a king), and there is a queen-sized pull-out couch in the living room. All beds, including the pull-out, are topped with memory foam, and are quite comfortable. Since we provide all linens, including beach towels and guest robes-- even robes for children, and have a full sized washer and dryer in the unit, you can pack as lightly as you choose! The guest bedroom is equipped with its own flat screen TV and DVD/ VCR player, and stocked with family and child friendly movies. The master bedroom also has its own flat screen TV. Our gourmet kitchen is as fully equipped as our kitchen at home, with all the major and minor appliances, and lots of gadgets. Our condo provides free local phone service, which includes all of Maui, and free internet (you can use either wireless or the plug-in modem).
The condo features a private lanai approximately 20 feet from the waves, and incredible ocean views from all rooms except for the baths (there is an ocean view on two sides in the master bedroom). You'll enjoy sitting just above the surf, sipping your morning coffee or a cool afternoon drink, watching the whales in season, or enjoying the night sky that seems to sparkle so much brighter there! Since we face south, you also get a view of dormant Haleakala Volcano in the distance and get to enjoy both sunrises and sunsets from our lanai and beach! The beach out front is great for swimming, beach combing and boogie boarding, as well as long, leisurely walks. The beautiful, tropically landscaped grounds also include a large grassy lawn with barbecues and tables/ picnic area, as well as a fenced-in, solar heated, freshwater pool with chaise lounges and chairs surrounding it-- all right next to the ocean. The building has elevators, and parking is free.
Our place is among a surprisingly small number of condo complexes in Maui to be RIGHT ON the ocean beach! The walk along the undeveloped beach stretching to the south from the condo makes you feel like you are on your own private island. You can walk along it without seeing a building, and sometimes without seeing another person, from the beach in front of the condo two doors down from us all the way to North Kihei, five miles away. This is the most sheltered beach on all of Maui, and the surf is normally very gentle, with few currents to worry about.
Another nice thing about our condo is that it is fully air conditioned via a split system, with separate, independently regulated, thermostatic controls in each bedroom and the living/dining room. Most "air conditioned" condos in Maui have only a window air conditioner in the living room. In contrast, each of the bedrooms, as well as the living-dining room at our condo, has its own thermostatically regulated unit in our split system-- so you can set the AC in each bedroom, and in the Living room/Dining room to whatever temperature is desired for that particular room.
Please see our Rates section for details about what our charges are. Our published rates include up to four guests, except for our couples special rates, which apply to 1-2 guests. There are extra charges for additional guests (fifth and sixth guests for most rates; third, fourth, fifth and sixth guests for couples' special rates). The rates in the tables do not include Hawaii state taxes, cleaning fee, damage deposit, or charges for additional guests. W18050117-01.
Our peaceful and lovely vacation home is the perfect spot for a family vacation, honeymoon, anniversary celebration, or just a quiet getaway. And we are offering some new, lower rates this year to try and help more people afford a nice stay on Maui.
Neither animals of any kind or smoking of any kind are permitted in the condo or on its lanai due to family allergies.
Please review our rates before contacting us at 206-669-3723 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm availability for the dates you want and discuss your vacation needs with us. Our rates can be found in the "rates" section of this listing. Click on "more rates" if your dates are not shown. We normally accept only reservations of 7 or more nights, but will consider shorter bookings if they happen to fit into short gaps in our calendar between already confirmed longer reservations. We sometimes have pending reservations that are not yet confirmed and shown on the calendar. We'll be happy to help you reserve your nights if we have availability. Serious inquiries only, please.
|General||Air Conditioning, Washer, Dryer, Parking, Private Lanai, Linens Provided, Beach Towels Provided, Beach Chairs Provided, Beach Umbrella Provided, Shared Pool, Waterfront, Ocean View, Mountain View, Ocean views on two sides; luggage racks provided; free parking; building has elevators|
|Beds||Twin Beds - 2, King Beds - 1, Sofa Bed - 1, bathrobes; bathroom grab bars; hairdryer; iPod/iphone docking stations|
|Internet||WiFi (Wireless), Fast DSL via cable modem, or wireless|
|Entertainment||Cable or Satellite TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD Player, Big screen TV in LR; smaller flat screen TVs in each bedroom; books and videos in condo|
|Kitchen||Full Kitchen, Refrigerator, Oven, Stove, Dishwasher, Microwave, Coffee Maker, Toaster, Blender, Food processor, coffee grinder, icemaker/water filter, rice cooker, cookware, serve/barware|
|Other||Iron, Ironing Board, Alarm Clock, Radio, Telephone, Gas/Electric Grill, Charcoal Grill, Ceiling Fan, scanner/copier/fax machine; free local phone service; answering machine|
Swimming in pool or ocean; ocean is fun for boogie boarding, snorkeling, surfing; whale watching is great-- this is the humpback capital of Maui! Attractions within a short walk include the Maui Ocean Center with the associated shops and restaurants. the Maalaea Bay Marina with boat tours and fishing expeditions, local rental facilities for water activity equipment, and "Maui Golf" mini golf and amusement complex; five star restaurant is on the same street; Haycroft Beach Park is three properties down; long walk to Kealia Pond Wildlife refuge.
|Time Period||Nightly||Weekly||Monthly||Min Stay|
|03/20/18 - 04/21/18|
Spring Break 2018
|04/22/18 - 05/12/18|
Spring couple's special for 1-2 guests
|05/13/18 - 09/06/18|
|09/07/18 - 10/03/18|
Fall Couples' special for 1-2 guests
|10/04/18 - 10/17/18|
Listed rates are for 2 (couple's rates)-4 (regular rates) guests & do not include 13.42% Hawaii State Taxes (14.42% starting 1/1/2018), $150 cleaning fee, security deposit or extra person charges of $15 pp/pn for each guest beyond the first two/four. Rental deposit of 1/3 total is required to reserve. $150 cancellation fee. Payment by personal/cashier's check. Balance due 90 (120 for Christmas/New Years) days prior to arrival. No smoking or animals -- owner allergies. Until confirmed, rates subject to change
For cancellations more than 120 days prior to arrival, the fee is $150. There are no refunds for cancellations less than 120 days prior to arrival. Travel insurance is advised.
Rates are displayed in US Dollars. Once you decide you would like to rent our place, let us know and we will e-mail you a rental agreement and invoice with payment details. A deposit of 1/3 of total amount charged for stay is due within 4 business days from the date of booking. The balance is due 120 days prior to arrival or upon reservation for arrangements made fewer than 120 days prior to your arrival. We accept payments by personal or bank cashier's check only. $100 fee will be assessed on NSF checks. Please be aware that we are unable to "hold" nights for anyone until their reservation is in progress (we do not hold nights based upon an inquiry alone); when we e-mail you your rental paperwork, we put your nights on a 4 business day courtesy hold, confirming your reservation upon receipt of your signed rental agreement and deposit/payment.
This is a payment of $500 collected from the guest to cover possible losses, damage, or excess soiling to the property. It is fully refunded within 45 business days if there has occurred, as a consequence of the guest's stay, no loss, damage, or the need for cleaning beyond our routine departure clean. We inventory and inspect the property before and after every stay. The guest will be charged replacement, repair and/or cleaning costs for missing items, causing a need for excessive cleaning, violations of the house rules, and any damage done to the property beyond normal wear and tear. Guest is liable for all damage and losses, not limited to the amount of deposit.
Release of Liability
Guests are granted access to Rental Property and many of amenities that exist within the property. To the fullest extent permitted by law, the Guests agree to use any personal and real property belonging to the Homeowner at their own risk and agree to release Homeowner from all liability associated with using such property. Homeowner cannot be held responsible or liable for injuries or illnesses of any nature, or for any loss or theft of personal property that may occur to Guests or any other persons while Guest is in possession or use of property. Guests agree to further to take on any liability associated with a third-party guest visiting the Rental Property or use of the Homeowner's property. Homeowner does not permit use of any of Homeowner's Property other than by the Guest and hereby disclaims any claims of liability associated with the Rental Property or property within and around the rental unit.
TELEPHONE and INTERNET:
Local and long distance calls throughout the US and its territories, and Canada, are free. Please use your cell phone, or your calling card or credit card for any other (international) long distance calls. You will be able to send and receive faxes at the condo via our office machine. Any charges for calls outside of the free calling and faxing plan are the responsibility of the guest and will be billed following your stay. Internet service is provide free of charge, using password-protected wireless, or direct plug-in via the modem. The condo association also provides a secondary complex-wide wireless internet connectivity that ranges to the pool area.
QUIET HOURS: 10 pm through 8 a.m., including indoors, outdoors, and on the beach.
Quiet hours are from 10 pm to 8 am. Please be respectful of others. No loud parties, no music outside after 10 pm.
No animals at all are permitted in the condo or on the lanai, due to severe owner allergies.
Smoking is not permitted inside the unit or on the lanai, or within 20 feet of any door, window or air intake portal.
RENTAL AGREEMENT AND CONDO ASSOCIATION RULES:
Guests will agree to abide by the terms of our written rental agreement, which will be provided prior to reservation, our unit guidelines as set forth in our guest letter (abbreviated here), and the condo association rules.
We have only a five hour window between your 11:00 a.m. departure on your last day, and the next guests’ arrival at 4:00 p.m. the same day, in most cases. This limits what the cleaning teams can do to prepare the condo for the next guests. So we ask for your cooperation in leaving the condo with no more than two loads of laundry to be done by cleaning staff, including bed, beach and bath linens (please launder and dry any guest robes you may have used during your stay the night before your departure). Also, please remove all trash from the condo and load any dirty dishes into the dishwasher, add soap, and start it before you leave. Please turn off all lights and appliances, including the air conditioners, before you leave, and remember to leave the air conditioning remote on the kitchen counter.
Check the furniture, closets and washer/dryer for you personal belongings. All furniture should be in the same place as it was on your arrival. Lock all windows and doors. Leave your two "wristlet" keys on the kitchen counter, with the other key in the lock box.
UNIT AND CONDO ASSOCIATION RULES (summary):
1. Neither the pool nor the local beaches are attended by lifeguards, so children should not use these areas without adult supervision. Pool, beach, condo complex, and unit are utilized at the guests' sole risk.
2. The pool has posted hygiene rules (including the usual request that swimmers take a soapy shower just prior to entering the pool) which are meant to protect everyone’s safety in a shared facility.
3. We provide an assortment of VHS and DVD movies and books for your use during your stay. Please leave movies and hardbound books when you depart. If you are in the middle of a paperback, feel free to take it home with you and leave another paperback in its place for the next guests to enjoy.
4. Hotel style adult robes plus children's print terry robes i have been provided for your comfort and convenience while staying at the condo, not to be removed. If you choose to use them, please care for them according to instructions in our guest letter, and leave them in the condo when you depart.
5. The sandy beaches of Maui are a joy! But sand in the condo is not! Please rinse yourselves, particularly sandy feet, and any boogie boards, pool toys, beach chairs, etc., in the outdoor shower by the beach before returning to the condo. Sand causes damage to many things, including the plumbing system, so we greatly appreciate your keeping it outdoors.
6. If you choose to purchase charcoal for the outdoor barbecue instead of using the gas barbecues with gas provided, please leave the charcoal bag in a sturdy plastic bag in the entry area to the condo, rather than carrying it through the condo and putting it out on the lanai.
7. Since suntan lotions, artificial tanners, etc., can stain the indoor upholstery and bed linens, please make sure to shower them off before sitting inside and do not apply them while indoors.
8. To keep the condo and its contents in good shape, we ask that no hair coloring or arts or crafts using paints or other spillable materials, or markers, be done in the condo or on the lanai. Please use nail polish and cosmetics in the bathrooms only to avoid staining furniture, carpets and bedding. Please notify us in advance if anyone in your party uses a benzoyl peroxide skin care product, as these bleach out our bed and bath linens, requiring replacement. We will provide white sheets and towels for benzoyl peroxide users and users of other medications or products that may bleach out linens. The renting party is responsible for asking all persons using the condo about these products and letting us know if anyone uses them.
9. For safety reasons, no burning of candles or flames of any kind are permitted in the condo.
10. Please care for dishes, cookware, serve-ware, as well as our dishwasher, washer and dryer and other appliances according to the instructions in our guest letter.
11. Our condo complex is on a septic system with its own environmentally friendly sewage treatment plant. We have recently had to replace pumps, etc., due to inappropriate items being flushed, including baby wipes, cleaning wipes, feminine hygiene products, swiffer pads, etc.. Please dispose of these and any other such items in trash bags and don’t put anything other than human waste and toilet paper down the toilets. And please watch that your little ones don’t do flushing experiments!
12. You will want to keep any open containers of food in the refrigerator or in an air-tight container, and to wipe up any spills promptly to avoid attracting unwanted arthropods (alas, endemic in the tropics). Guest need to remove kitchen trash bags, and any trash bags containing soiled diapers, at the end of each day and prior to departure. Maui recycles, so recycle along, and help keep the island beautiful!
13. Please close the lanai slider almost completely behind you when go out onto the lanai, and keep doors and windows closed and locked in the condo, except when you are entering and exiting through them. Please leave the lock box key in the lock box at all times in case you forget to bring your wristlet key with you, so you will never be locked out. Property manager help for lockouts is not always immediately available.
14. For the health and safety of your child, we do not supply baby furniture or equipment. There are several excellent local companies who can keep up better than we can with safety recalls, and have the equipment needed to sanitize such items between uses. If your baby/young child will require a crib, or is still in diapers (in which case you will need a changing table), please ask us to e-mail you a list of on-island companies who will deliver these items to the condo for you, and pick them up the morning of your departure. You will need to make your own arrangements with the company of your choice, according to the needs of your child. We do not, for health reasons, permit diaper changing on upholstered furniture or beds/bedding. If you are traveling with a baby or young child, you will need to go through the condo upon your arrival to make it child safe as needed for your particular child.
15. Please read and follow the laminated air conditioning instructions posted in the condo. The units must be turned on and off individually using the remote control. Please turn off the AC-- and other appliances except for refrigerator-- whenever you are not in the unit, and upon departure.
16. The “all in one” office machine is provided as an “extra”. We leave it for each season’s guests with a useable cartridge and a small supply of printer paper in the tray. However, if either the cartridge or paper run out (or are not available when you arrive) you will need to purchase what replacements you need for your own use.